Saturday, December 16, 2006

Diane Arbus

I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn't photograph them.
~ Diane Arbus (1923-1971)

There's a movie about Diane Arbus that's hopefully coming to the local cinema soon - "Fur - An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus".

I've read up about her, in my course of photographic research and is really anticipating this movie. I was really excited when I saw the trailer on Quicktime.

The movie is based on the book "Diane Arbus: A Biography" written by Patricia Bosworth. Diane was an American photographer, best known for her compelling portraits of the unusual, the fantastic, and the freakish.

One of her more captivating works, is that of a scrawny boy with thin arms by his side. Clenching a toy grenade in his right hand and holding his left hand in a claw-like gesture, with the look of frustration that conveyed a sense of maniacal weariness.

Nicole Kidman takes the role of Diane Arbus in the movie, directed by Steven Shainberg.