Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Northeast monsoon

The lowest minimum temperature ever recorded in the month of December is 20.6 deg C ( on 2 Dec 1964), while the lowest temperature ever recorded (since record began in 1929) is 19.4 deg C (on 31 Jan 1934).

Usually the Northeast Monsoon months of December and January are the cooler months of the year with average highest temperature of 29.9 deg C as compared to 31.5 deg C in the months of April and May, and with average minimum temperature of 23.1 deg C in Dec and Jan as compared to 24.3 deg C in the months of April and May. The early part of the Northeast monsoon (months of December and January) is usually characterised by generally cloudy and windy conditions with rain periods lasting for 2 to 3 days at a stretch.

The cool north-east winds which blow over Singapore during this time of the year originate from the cold winter conditions of the interior of the Asian continent.
~ National Environment Agency (NEA)

The memories of you kept me warm
But the nights are still cold and silent.

Lady Rain
There were times when the sky would bring me nothing
Except the smell of the rain at summertime
So I left my window open just to let you come inside
Saying that you'd never leave me was a lie

Well there were times that my eyes were filled with water
But all the world was desert dry
So I hugged my pillow closer and I tried to close my eyes
But the sound of distant thunder made me cry

Lady Rain, I hear you at my window
Lady Rain, I need you softly falling on my face
Why did the sunshine come and take you away?
I'd wait for you again, my Lady Rain

I hear the sound of her breathing in the darkness
And autumn rain can turn to snow in the night
I'll be sleeping this September, but I'll leave the fire light
Just in case you feel like coming 'round again

And late at night,when you pour down on me
You're just in time to wash all the tears away.